The Truth About What’s in a Makeup Artists Bag?…
I decided to do a blog post on this to shatter the illusion that the makeup bag of a makeup artist is an amazing wonder to behold. Well I hate to have to tell you the truth – it is not!!
When I go to a MAC store for example, to replenish my kit and I then Instagram a picture of my purchases, so many of my followers, friends and family will comment things like: ‘You lucky thing, I’m so jealous’, ‘Oh my God I’d love even some of them products’ or I’ve even got before: ‘Can you give some of that to me’ – that’s usually from family and very close friends! The truth is, all that makeup is not for me unfortunately, it’s for my kit.
So if I am buying makeup, 9 times out of 10 its not mine, it belongs to the kit. Once a product goes into my kit I will never take it back out. So many people ask why? It’s down to the absolute terror that I will go to a job and have left something on my dressing table. Imagine turning up to a wedding without glue or without eyelashes for the bridal party! For that reason, whatever goes into the kit HAS to stay in it! For example, a secretary buys all her stationary, she is happy and has nice stuff to work with, but at the end of the day, it is work stuff.
So many brides are in awe of my products on the morning of their wedding and say ‘Wow, look at all that makeup, you lucky thing’ and I laugh to my myself and think ‘I wish this was all for myself’!
When I go to a department store and shop for makeup to replenish my kit, I will probably spend close to €1000 and if I have a few euros over, Il treat myself and look around for a new lippie for myself. And like most girls, Il then cherish little purchase.
So, let’s get down to the truth of the contents of my personal makeup bag. The products I use are old favourites that have stood the test of time. And guess what? I’m not that creative with my own makeup!! The reason being I am a really busy working makeup artist and I just don’t have the time! I really have to say, I envy those makeup artists who find the time to spend an hour to an hour and a half doing their makeup and taking photos for Instagram. I’m so busy travelling the length and breadth of Ireland doing weddings, masterclasses etc and time is of the essence to me in the mornings!
So, here it is, my all-time must have products for my own makeup bag:
90% of my skincare products are Shiseido, there are very few other products I use on my skin.
- Shiseido Perfect Cleansing Oil – I love this; it melts my makeup off in seconds.
- Shiseido Skincare Balancing Hydro Softener – acts as a toner but is alcohol free, leaves my skin SO soft
- Shiseido Bio Performance Super Corrective Serum – anti aging slows down the aging process. NEED this in my life!!
- Shiseido Bio Performance Day & Night Moisturiser – contains hyaluronic acid to keep moisture levels high in the skin. My one product I cannot live without, massively anti-aging
- Image Skincare Ageless Total Retinol A Cream – Can only be uses twice a week but my skin is as soft as a babies bum after using it!
- NARS Illuminator in Copacabana – This is amazing as it actually hydrates the skin as well as creating a lovely luminous finish for underneath your foundation
- PS Pro Strobe, Rose Face and Body Highlighter – So gorgeous and so affordable, price point is just €4!! You cannot go wrong with this product
- Cocoa Brown Golden Goddess Oil – A perfect all over body shimmer, or can be uses as a highlighter.
- Shieseido Syncro Skin – Oil free demi matte foundation, lasts on the skin for up to 15 hours. Everyone is talking about this foundation and I can see why.
- MAC Mineralise Skin Finish in medium + – Powder that won’t dehydrate the skin and will give extra coverage.
- Shiseido Sheer Eyezone Corrector, no 103 – Neutralises my dark circles instantly
- LA Girl Pro Concealer – Really affordable and doesn’t crease under the eyes. You can get it on trendbeauty.com
Bronzer / Contour:
- Filmstar Bronze and Glow by Charlotte Tilbury – Quick and easy as you have a bronzer and a highlighter in one pallet.
- Catrice Highlighter – I use this for extra highlight. Cheap as chips from Primark and gives an intense shine to the cheeks
- Margin from MAC – A shimmery coral perfect everyday blush
- MAC Light Touch Pressed Pigments – Sparkle on the eye in seconds.
- La Dolce Vita by Charlotte Tilbury – A handy compact of 4 shadows in one pallet, easy to create both day and night looks with the colours in it
- Maybelline Lash Sensation – Really good and often on 3 for 2 offer in Boots and I love the brush
- Benefit Brow Zing in no 3 – Just a perfect little compact with a wax formula and a powder for perfect precision
- Lingering Brow Pencil for Mac – Another great product
- Rimmell Black Gel liner – Every girl needs this. So affordable, lasts ages and so black, and that’s the truth!
- PS Lipliner Pencil in Brown & Nude – Lasts really and only €1.50!!! Obsessed!!
- MAC Whirl, Stripdown and Soar Pencils – You can never beat a MAC lipliner – all time classics!
- Shiseido Smoothing Lip Pencil – If you’re looking for good quality these guys stain the lips and so tend to last longer.
- Shiseido BE102 – A creamy nude.
- MAC Retro Matte liquid lip colour in Lady Be Good
- MAC Hue – A soft nude
- Mac Whirl – The deep brown Kylie Jenner wears
- MAC Ruby Woo – The perfect red!
So there you go, the truth about my makeup bag! It’s not huge, it’s not massively expensive but I suppose knowing what to buy is half the battle so happy shopping!